SEARCH:   

      Provided by Free Find


CHRONOLOGY OF SIGNIFICANT DATES IN THE HISTORY OF
THE UNITED STATES LOGISTICS GROUP 

May 1947Congress approved aid to Turkey under the Truman Doctrine.
August 1947The Joint American Military Mission for Aid to Turkey {JAMMAT, renamed JUSMMAT in 1958) was established in Ankara. The 1172d Foreign Mission Squadron (USAF) administered the Air Force portion of the US aid program.
February 1952Turkey Joined NATO.
April 1953The Joint Chiefs of Staff assigned responsibility for logistical support of all US units in Turkey to the United States Air Forces in Europe. (USAFE).
April 1954Detachment 1 of the 7206th Support Squadron, Hellenikon, Greece, was deployed to Ankara to oversee the USAFE logistical mission to Turkey.
December 1954Detachment 1 of the 7206th Support Squadron was absorbed by an advanced echelon of the 17th Air Force deployed from Rabat, Morocco (later headquartered at Wheelus Air Base, Libya).
May 1955This advanced echelon became the 7217th Support Group, known as Hq The US Logistics group (TUSLOG}.
August 1955The 7217th Air Base Squadron was activated under the group as TUSLOG Detachment 1.
June 1958The 7217th Air Base Squadron was inactivated.
August 1959HQ TUSLOG was designated the 7217th Air Division.
July 1969The US and Turkey signed the Defense Cooperation Agreement (DCA).
September 1970HQ TUSLOG was reduced in organization level to Detachment 1, HQ 16th Air Force and lost command over all USAFE units in Turkey.
October 197HQ TUSLOG was raised to a wing-level organization and resumed command over all USAFE units.
February 1975Congress placed an embargo on all US military assistance to Turkey in reaction to Turkey's intervention in Cyprus in July 1974.
July 1975Turkey retaliated by placing all US units within her boundaries on "provisional status."
September 1978Congress lifted its arms embargo against Turkey and a month later Turkey removed most of the restrictions on US units by placing them on "modified provisional status."
January 1980The US and Turkey initialed a five-year Defense and Economic Cooperation Agreement (DECA) and formally signed it in March, thus ending "modified provisional status."
November 1982HQ USAFE separated the staff agencies of HQ TUSLOG that had local responsibilities from those that handled matters throughout Turkey. The former became the 7217th Air Base Group, the latter became HQ TUSLOG.
September 1984HQ TUSLOG was redesignated a division-level organization.
December 1985The DECA expired.
December 1986 The US and Turkey initialed a new DECA side letter.



Introduction

The acronym TUSLOG stands for The United States Logistics Group. With its headquarters in Ankara, TUSLOG, an air division-level organization, serves as the primary command element in Turkey of Sixteenth Air Force, US Air Forces in Europe (USAFE). TUSLOG not only commanded various USAFE units, but also supported all other US military organizations and government agencies in Turkey.

TUSLOG evolved from the growing Turkish-American alliance that began shortly after World War II. Upon its conclusion, the Soviet Union demanded territorial concessions from Turkey in addition to military bases on the Bosphorus and Dardanelles, revision of the Montreaux Straits Convention which governed shipping in that body of water, and revision of the boundary in European Turkey in favor of communist Bulgaria. Turkey rejected these demands and feared armed Soviet intervention. In response to Soviet pressure on Turkey and Soviet encouragement of communist guerrillas in Greece, President Harry Truman delivered a speech to Congress on 12 March 1947 in which he proposed assistance to those two countries in order to counter Soviet actions. Thls speech became the basls of the "Truman Doctrine" of opposition to Soviet imperialism and marked a turning point in Turkish-American relations. Henceforth the US would be Turkey's major source of support against the power to the north.

JUSMMAT, Ankara
JUSMMAT headquarters in Ankara. Photo courtesy of Bud Trill

To the great satisfaction of the Turks, American military aid began to flow almost Immediately. By mid May 1947, Congress had appropriated $100 million for Turkey. A few months later, an American military mission, the Joint American Military Mission for Aid to Turkey (JAMMAT, renamed Joint United States Military Mission for Aid to Turkey, JUSMMAT in 1958) was established in Ankara to direct and monitor this aid under the authority of the American ambassador. The US Air Force component of JAMMAT was the 1172d Foreign Mission Squadron (also called the JAMMAT US Air Force Group or USAFG). The JAMMAT-USAFG helped provide the Turkish Air Force with American aircraft and training and beginning in 1948, was responsible for directing the construction or modernization of a number of Turkish air bases: Balikesir Diyarbakir, Bandirma, Eskisehir, Merzifon, Batman, Adana (Incirllk), and Izmir (Cigli).

The American presence in Turkey was expanded in April 1948 with the announcement of the Marshall Plan. Whereas the Truman Doctrine had been designed primarily to provide military aid, the Marshall Plan was meant to help rebuild the war-ravaged economies of Europe. Although a neutral during the war, Turkey nevertheless received a large amount of money and equipment, as well as technical advisors, under this plan. These aid programs proved to be mutually beneficial and contributed to a strong alliance between Turkey and the US. Indeed when the NATO alliance was created in April 1949, Ankara immediately expressed a desire to join. Turkey's lobbying effort in this respect culminated in 1950, when at the outbreak of the Korean War, she sent a brigade of 4,500 men to fight for the UN. This brigade's outstanding combat performance in some of the fiercest battles of the war won universal praise from military experts In fact, the Turks had the highest casualty rate of any UN contingent engaged in the fighting. This contributed enormously to sympathy for the admission of Turkey to NATO, which finally occurred, together with that of Greece, in February 1952.

In accordance with the conditions of NATO membership, Turkey signed the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), which granted official status and certain privileges to military members, civilian component and dependents of a signatory nation stationed in another NATO country. The Turkish Government ratified the SOFA on 10 March 1954 and signed a Military Facilities Agreement and other implementing agreements on 23 June of the same year. While these documents were general in nature, often requiring specific supplementary written or verbal arrangements, they effectively set the stage for the arrival of large numbers of Americans in Turkey. Indeed, the US presence in the country grew rapidly, often showing few signs of central planning or control.

By 1959, there were at least 20 different military commands and civilian agencies of the US Government in Turkey. More than 1,200 people were assigned to JAMMAT (then JUSMMAT) alone. By 1966, the number of Americans from the Department of Defense in Turkey reached more than 30,000. The work of these people was as varied as the organizations they represented.

Apart from JUSMMAT, there were two NATO regional headquarters in Izmir (Allied Land Forces Southeast Europe and Sixth Allied Tactical Air Force, activated in September 1952 and October 1953 respectively), the headquarters of the Central Treaty Organization in Ankara (CENTO evolved from the Baghdad Pact of 1954 and was disbanded in 1979), numerous links in the US Defense Communications System, NATO Air Defense Ground Environment stations, US Army, Navy, Coast Guard, and Air Force units. The latter in particular managed aerial ports, warehouses and depots, commissaries and exchanges, aircraft and air crews on both training and combat-ready status, and even schools. Although all American personnel were in Turkey as part of NATO's commitment to the defense of Europe, the diversity of the organizations and units, however, caused much bureaucratic confusion from the outset. Management efficiency studies were frequently made but no central headquarters was ever established.




The Birth of TUSLOG

One partial and successful attempt to centralize American military activities in Turkey occurred in April 1953 when the Joint Chiefs of Staff assigned responsibility for the logistical support of all US forces in Turkey to Headquarters, United States Air Forces in Europe. In turn, USAFE assigned this responsibility to the 7206th Air Base Squadron (ABS) at Hellenikon Air Base, Greece. On 1 April 1954, Detachment 1 of the 7206 ABS was activated in Ankara with a staff of one officer and one airman. This extremely modest force was absorbed by an advanced echelon of the Seventeenth Air Force deployed from Rabat, Morocco in December 1954.

On 15 May 1955, Headquarters Seventeenth Air Force activated Headquarters 7217th Support Group in Ankara. This unit was referred to as Headquarters The United States Logistics Group (HQ TUSLOG). Later that summer, on 25 July, Detachment 1 of the 7206 ABS was discontinued and on 1 August, the 7217 ABS was activated with a staff of five officers, 39 airmen, and four Turkish nationals. The 7217 ABS was designated as TUSLOG Detachment 1 and at approximately the same time, in accordance with the wishes of the Turkish Government, all other US military units and civilian components in Turkey were also given designations as TUSLOG detachments. In thls manner HQ TUSLOG oversaw all activities in Turkey as a whole for USAFE while the Air Base Squadron (TUSLOG Det 1) handled local logistical support, namely, for units in Ankara and on the Black Sea coast.

As TUSLOG's responsibilitles grew, there were sometimes changes in the locations or detachment numbers of its many units as well as additions and losses. For example, between December 1956 and April 1957, the 7217 ABS was transferred to KARAMURSEL in NW Turkey and in 1958 was Inactivated. Established in its place in Ankara was the 7250th Support Group (TUSLOG Det 30) This support group was changed to an air base group in 1971, reduced to squadron level in 1972, and Inactivated in 1973. Whatever its organizational level, Its function was always to manage the logistics for units in the Ankara area. After its inactivation, this function as taken over by HQ TUSLOG.

The inactivation of the 7217 ABS in 1958 was part of USAFE's effort to reduce its support structure in Turkey as a consequence of reduced allocations of funds and manpower that became increasingly acute after 1956. In July 1958, in fact, HQ TUSLOG was reduced to a liaison office as Detachment 1 of Headquarters Seventeenth Air Force. The reluctance of the Air Force to become deeply committed to the support of the other American armed services and civilian organizations in Turkey was also a factor in this development. While the logistical responsibility of USAFE was thus reduced in Turkey, this step weakened its position in the command and control structure arrangement for that country. This was made clear by the "Lebanese Crlsis" of 1958 during which the US sent aircraft and troops to İncirlik in support of the Marines dispatched to Lebanon. At the same time the US Embassy and its agencies were demanding more and more services. As a result, on 7 August 1959, USAFE reversed its position and elevated HQ TUSLOG to be the 7217th Air Division. The rank of the commander of HQ TUSLOG was then raised from colonel to brigadier general.

Meanwhile, a number of studies were conducted in order to find ways of reducing and streamlining the US command structure in Turkey, especially after the Secretary of the Air Force visited that country in 1963 and concluded that the separate NATO-CENTO-European Command-USAFE command structure was too cumbersome. One result of these studies was that in July 1964, TUSLOG took over full responsibility for several functions previously shared with JUSMMAT and other organizations: air transportation, motor pools, public information, supply logistical support, legal counsel, and signals communications. This led to a decrease in the number of personnel at JUSMMAT, an increase for TUSLOG, and a net decrease in the number of Americans In Ankara.




Cutbacks

Shortly thereafter, the American military presence in Turkey was again subject to review. Demands on the defense budget and manpower by the war in Southeast Asia forced the US to reconsider its military priorities in other parts of the world. In 1966, Senate majority leader Mike Mansfield began a campaign to reduce unilaterally US troop levels in Europe. Following this, Secretary of Defense Clark Clifford initiated a program for the Reduction of Costs and Forces in Europe (REDCOSTE) in 1968. Although a change in administrations occurred in the same year, this program conformed to the Nixon policy of lowering the profile of American forces abroad. Consequently, the US began to eliminate or consolidate many of its operations in Turkey. Between 1969 and 1973, for instance, sites at Samsun and Trabzon were turned over to the Turkish government. In addition, Cigli Air Base, which since 1963 had been used by USAF rotational squadrons, was turned over to the Turkish Air Force in 1970. The US continued, however, to fund the maintenance of numerous facilities at that base. Altogether, between 1967 and 1970, the number of Americans in Turkey dropped from 24,000 to 15,000. The cutbacks in forces in Turkey naturally had a major effect on TUSLOG. Because many of its logistical functions were eliminated or reduced, some of its detachments were also eliminated and others were consolidated or transferred, mainly to KARAMURSEL or İncirlik. Its authority over the 7206th Support Group in Athens was transferred to Headquarters, Sixteenth Air Force. Indeed, the headquarters in Ankara shrank to a fraction of its former size. On 9 September, it was inactivated as the 7217th Air Division and the next day reestablished as Detachment 1 of Headquarters Sixteen Air Force. The commander of HQ TUSLOG, however, had been upgraded from brigadier to major general in 1969 and therefore after the inactivation of the Air Division became Vice Commander of Sixteenth Air Force for Turkey. All these changes reduced HQ TUSLOG to a mere liaison office with only 26 personnel and an ill- defined mission. This situation lasted until 15 October 1971 when HQ TUSLOG was activated as a wing-level named unit with its command over USAFE units in Turkey restored. Proposals to reorganize, reduce, or relocate HQ TUSLOG continued to surface periodically. For example, in December 1975, HQ USAFE considered moving it to İncirlik, but past experience ruled against such a move.




The Embargo Period

On 12 July 1974, the Greek Cypriot National Guard, instigated by the military government in Athens, seized power on Cyprus and proclaimed union with Greece. A week later, citing her obligations as a co-guarantor of the independence of Cyprus and her responsibility to assure the security of Turkish Cypriots, Turkey intervened on the island. By 16 August, Turkish forces controlled all of northern Cyprus.

In February 1975, despite the wishes of the president, congress imposed an embargo on military aid to Turkey on grounds that she had violated American law by using American weapons for non-defensive purposes. [Read the Turkish viewpoint.] In reaction, Turkey placed all US forces on her soil on provisional status in July. US military operations in the country then ceased and all bases were reduced to caretaker functions. No personnel could be transferred, nor could cargo be moved, between bases or into or out of Turkey, without advance notice. All construction and maintenance projects were stopped. This led to the deterioration of equipment and facilities. Many privileges were also curtailed. The Army and Air Force Exchange Service outlet in Ankara was closed and APO parcels were prohibited.

Because of the reduction in operations and the reluctance of personnel newly assigned to Turkey to bring their dependents, the number of Americans in that country dropped from 15,000 when the embargo began to less than 10,000 when it ended. Nevertheless, despite various restrictions and the ensuing hardship and stress, TUSLOG personnel continued their duties. Their efforts, under difficult conditions, earned HQ TUSLOG the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award for the period l July 1975 to 30 June 1976.

When it became clear that the embargo did nothing to solve the Cyprus problem and only undermined Turkish-US relations, Congress finally lifted it on 26 September 1978. A week later, Turkey cancelled most of the restrictions on US forces. Operations resumed and supplies began to flow.




The Post-Embargo Period

After the embargo was ended, both the US and Turkey felt that it was necessary to renegotiate their relationship in light of certain realities. Turkey needed additional and more reliable military assistance while the US wanted to make a number of changes in its position in Turkey. Consequently, the two countries worked to draw up a new, comprehensive agreement. On 29 March 1980, after 14 months of talks, Turkey and the US officially signed a five-year Defense and Economic Cooperation Agreement (DECA). This agreement set forth the principles of Turkish-US relations and committed the US to provide Turkey with financial and technical assistance. In the course of the negotiations, Turkey and the US reached agreement on a number of ancillary matters. For example, in April 1979, KARAMURSEL Installation was turned over to the Turkish Navy. The signing of the DECA signaled the beginning of a dramatic improvement in Turkish-American relations. Moreover, following the conclusion of the agreement, USAFE released millions of dollars for long-awaited new construction and facility improvement projects in Turkey. These included a major new housing program at İncirlik which greatly contributed to the quality of life for American personnel. All this, of course, had a major effect on HQ TUSLOG which suddenly found itself attempting to manage extensive projects throughout Turkey with a staff that had been shrinking for ten years. In view of Hq TUSLOG s increasing responsibilities, HQ USAFE activated the 7217 ABG in Ankara on 15 November 1982. This air base group was formed from the staff agencies of HQ TUSLOG which had local responsibilities, while those which handled matters throughout Turkey remained to constitute HQ TUSLOG. The 7217 ABG was given the mission of providing logistical support for all US units and agencies in central and northwest Turkey. Furthermore, logistical responsibilities for the rest of the country were divided between the 39th Tactical Group at İncirlik, which managed southern and eastern Turkey, and the 7241 ABG in Izmir, which looked after western Turkey. Also in 1982, all US units dropped their TUSLOG detachment numbers and took their normal designations. In recognition of TUSLOG's growth and importance, it was raised to a division-level organization in September 1984. By the beginning of 1985, the TUSLOG population was again over 10,000.




Major Subordinate Units of HQ TUSLOG

39th Tactical Group/İncirlik

In December 1950, the Turkish Air Force (TAF) and USAF began work on a large new air base near Adana on Turkey's Mediterranean coast. At first, plans called for TAF to use the base for training and for USAF to use it to support Strategic Air Command (SAC) missions. However, TAF later dropped its plans before the facility was completed. When it was finished in late 1954. TAF and USAF signed a joint tenancy agreement. On 20 February 1955, the 7216th Air Base Squadron moved from Wheelus AB, Libya, to Adana Air Field. SAC B-47s then began to use the base. The 7216th became an air base group on 1 May 1958 and its mission soon changed to that of supporting Tactical Air Command (TAC) rotational units. In 1958 the name of the facility was changed from Adana Air Field to İncirlik Air Base. On 9 July 1962, the 7216 ABG became a combat support group with the same mission. On 1 April 1966, the 7216 ABG was Inactivated and the 39th Tactical Group was established in its place. In addltion to providing logistical support to US units in southern and eastern Turkey and providing training for rotational weapons training detachment air crews, the 39th Tactical Group also conducts operations in support of USAF and NATO war plans and maintains an alert posture with F-16s. In 1969, Incirllk Air Base was renamed İncirlik Common Defense Installation and in 1980 İncirlik Installation. It is the most Important American facility in Turkey and is commanded by a colonel.

7217 ABG/Ankara

As mentioned this air base group was activated in 1982. It is located about five km from the center of town at Ankara Air Station. In addition to operating the air station, where it hosts HQ TUSLOG, the 7217 ABG manages the logistical support for more than 40 units and agencies in its region of responsibility. In Ankara, outside the air station, the ABG supports in particular the American Embassy, US Defense Attache Office, and JUSMMAT. It is commanded by a Lieutenant Colonel.

7241 ABG/Izmir

On 15 November 1955, the 7266th Support Squadron was activated in Izmir, Turkey's largest Aegean port, to support the two NATO headquarters LANDSOUTHEAST and SIXATAF. Prior to this date, support for these headquarters had come from the US Sixth Fleet. On 1 July 1959, most of the 7266th moved to Cigli Air Base on the northern outskirts of Izmir where it later merged with USAFE's 7231st Technical Training Group to become the 7231st Combat Support Group on 5 July 1962. On 1 April 1966, this unit became the 41st Tactical Group. When the US facilities at Cigli were turned over to TAF as part of the REDCOSTE program on 1 July 1970, the 41st Tactical Group was inactivated. The 41st Combat Support Squadron which had also been at Cigli was then renamed the 7241st Support Squadron and moved to Izmir. In 1970 this unit was briefly removed from the command of HQ TUSLOG and assigned to the 39th Tactical Group. Later in the same year it was assigned directly to Sixteenth Air Force before being reassigned in December 1971 to HQ TUSLOG. On 1 January 1973, the 7241st became an air base squadron and in August 1980 was raised to an air base group. The 7241 ABG is the only US military unit in Turkey not located at a single site, but is scattered about Izmir in Various buildings. It is commanded by a colonel. In 1969 İncirlik Air Base was renamed İncirlik Common Defense Installation and in 1980 İncirlik Installation.

7022 ABS/PirinÁlik

On 10 February 1955, the 7255th Air Base Squadron was activated at Wheelus AB, Libya, and deployed to Diyarbakir Air Station in eastern Turkey in June of the same year. The following month it was assigned to TUSLOG. In July 1958 it was inactivated and the support mission was turned over to the United States Air Force Security Service. On 1 January 1964, TUSLOG resumed the support mission with the activation of Detachment 1 of İncirlik's 7216th Combat Support Group. On 5 August 1966 this unit became a detachment of HQ TUSLOG, but was subsequently reassigned to the 39 TACG on 9 September 1970. In the same year, the name Diyarbakir Air Station was changed to that of PirinÁlik, the name of the small village 30 km west of Diyarbakir where the unit was actually located. On 1 June 1972; this unit, known as Detachment 2, 39 TACG, was inactivated and the 7022d Air Base Squadron was activated, still under the command of the 39 TACG. On 30 July 1981, this air base squadron was assigned to HQ TUSLOG. Its mission is to support the 19th Surveillance Squadron of SAC at PirinÁlik. It receives logistical support from İncirlik and is commanded by a colonel.

7391 MUNSS/Balikesir

The 7391st Munitions Support Squadron (MUNSS) was activated at the Turkish 9th Main Jet Base at Balikesir, 170 km north of Izmir, on 1 October 1966 as Detachment 4 of the 301st Tactical Depot Squadron. On 1 February 1968, this unit was redesignated Detachment 1 of the 41st Tactical Group and renamed the 7391 MUNSS on 1 July 1972. It receives logistical support from Izmir and is normally commanded by a lieutenant colonel.

7392 MUNSS/Eskisehir

The 7392d Munitions Support Squadron was activated at the Turkish 1st Main Jet Base at Eskisehir, 225 km west of Ankara, on 20 March 1962 as Detachment 7 of the 301st Tactical Depot Squadron. On 1 October 1964, this unit was reassigned to the 7232d Munitions Maintenance Group. Its name was changed again on 1 February 1968 to Detachment 7 of the 7250th Support Group. It received its current designation on 1 July 1972. The 7392 MUNSS receives logistical support from Ankara and is normally commanded by a lieutenant colonel.

7393 MUNSS/Murted

The 7393d Munitions Support Squadron was activated at the Turkish 4th Main Jet Base at Murted, 60 km northwest of Ankara, on 1 July 1965 as Detachment 33 of the 7232d Munitions Maintenance Group. On 1 February 1968, this unit was redesignated as Detachment 8 of the 7250th Support Group. The 7393 MUNSS assumed its present name on 1 July 1972. It receives logistical support from Ankara and is normally commanded by a lieutenant colonel.

7394 MUNSS/Erhac

The 7394th Munitions Support Squadron was activated at the Turkish 7th Main Jet Base at Erhac, 350 km northeast of İncirlik, on 1 June 1963 as Detachment 13 of the 301st Tactical Depot Squadron. This unit was reassigned as a detachment of the 7232d Munitions Maintenance Group on 1 October 1964 and redesignated as Detachment 1 of the 39 TACG on 1 February 1972. It receives its logistical support from İncirlik and is normally commanded by a lieutenant colonel.




TUSL0G Facilities in Ankara

From 1954 to 1970 TUSLOG facilities grew in much the same manner as had the US forces in Turkey, quickly and somewhat haphazardly. At the beginning of 1970, TUSLOG held approximately 60 leases for some 34 facilities scattered throughout Ankara. These facilities included offices, apartments, warehouses, exchange, hospital, and even an old streetcar barn. HQ TUSLOG itself occupied two 11-story buildings at 18 Mithat Pasa Caddesi in the Kizlilay section of the city. The lack of contiguity naturally disrupted communications, hindered coordination of effort among various staff agencies, and limited efficiency in general. It also posed obvious security problems. Many buildings also suffered from heat, water and power shortages. A story is told of the old Corps of Engineers building in the Maltepe section that had to be thoroughly aired everyday after the coal stoves in the offices were lit. In 1961 the Turkish government granted the US a lease on a parcel of land in the village of Balgat on the western edge of Ankara. This land was used mainly for the Department of Defense dependent schools and dormitories - at that time Ankara was the location of the regional high school for US dependents from as far away as Peshawar, Pakistan. At its peak, the school accomodated almost 2,000 students who were housed in three buildings (currently TUSLOG I and II and the high school) and required a convoy of 37 school buses. In 1971 this regional high school boarding facility was moved to KARAMURSEL, leaving the dorms and two school buildings vacant. This made it possible to transfer HQ TUSLOG and many other offices to Balgat where all facilities were gradually consolidated. This immediately resulted in better working conditions and lower visibility for Americans in town. During the initial stage of TUSLOG's move to Balgat, some of its functions were transferred to İncirlik. The TUSLOG population in Ankara thus dropped from approximately 1,000 in January to fewer than 300 by the end of 1971. Although most facilities moved to Balgat within a few years, the consolidation was not complete until the hospital, later reduced to a clinic, opened its doors at Ankara Air Station in 1983. And by 1985, the TUSLOG population opened was again over 1,000.




Lineage and Honors Data

Unit Designation:Headquarters The United States Logistics Group (TUSL0G)
Higher Headquarters:Sixteenth Air Force, United States Air Forces in Europe
Assigned Units:39th Tactical Group, İncirlik
39th Combat Support Squadron
39th Security Police Flight
39th Consolidated Maintenance Squadron
39th Supply Squadron
39th Tactical Field Hospital
7005th Explosive Ordnance Flight
39th Comptroller Squadron
39th Transportation Flight
USAF Hospital, İncirlik
7217th Air Base Group, Ankara
...USAF Clinic
7241st Air Base Group, Izmir
... USAF Clinic
7022d Air Base Squadron, PirinÁlik
7391st Munitions Support Squadron, Balikesir
7392d Munitions Support Squadron, Eskisehlr
7393d Munitions Support Squadron, Murted
7394th Munitions Support Squadron, Erhac
Attached Units:Various USAFE tactical fighter squadrons were regularly attached to the 39 TACG as weapons training detachments.
Station:Ankara, Turkey
Commanders:Col William S. Smith, 15 May 55;
Col Robert J. Goewey, 1 Jul 56;
Col James D. Jones, 29 May 57;
Brig Gen Henry C. Newcomer, 7 Aug 59;
Brig Gen Baskin R. Lawrence, Jr., 28 Jul 61;
Brig Gen Frederic C. Gray, 5 Aug 63;
Brig Gen Sam J. Byerley, 11 Oct 65;
Brig Gen George V. Williams, 12 Jul 67;
Maj Gen Dudley E. Faver, 17 Jul 69;
Maj Gen Bryan M. Shotts, 25 Jun 71;
Maj Gen Arnold Braswell, 1 Feb 73;
Maj Gen Frank W. Elliott, Jr., 15 Sep 74;
Maj Gen William H. Ginn, Jr., 22 Aug 75;
Maj Gen Warren C. Moore, 13 Jan 77;
Maj Gen Kenneth D. Burns, 31 Jan 79;
Maj Gen James P. Smothermon, 8 Jun 81;
Maj Gen Donald P. Litke, 3 Jun 83;
Maj Gen Ralph E. Havens, 18 Jun 85;
Maj Gen John C. Scheidt, Jr., 14 Aug 86.
Aircraft Flown:F-100D, F-105D, F-4C, F-4D, F-4E, F-111E, F- 111F, F-15A/B/C/D, F-16 A/B (attached to and under the operational control of the 39th TACG and its predecessor), T-29, T-33, C-12, C-47, C-54, C-118, C-131 [author omitted the L20A mentioned in Frank Cook's personal story]
Awards and Decorations:Air Force Outstanding Unit Award for the period 1 July 1975 - 30 June 1976 (awarded 18 March 1977).
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award for the period 1 June 1981 - 31 May 1983 (awarded 9 December 1983).
Emblem:

  Approved by AFMPC letter 12-C, 6 October 1960.  The emblem is symbolic of the unit
  and its mission and indicates that TUSLOG (winged amphora of USAFE) brings the
  essential requirement (wheat) to assigned personnel, giving the strength (lightning)
  for military defense and to maintain peace in this part of the world.  The emblem bears
  the Air Force colors, ultramarine blue and golden yellow, and red, white, and light
  blue.  The motto, sustineo vires, means sustain the strength.